Thursday, January 5, 2012

Day 5 of the Daniel Fast

Matthew is doing awesome on the Daniel Fast.  Not only has he not had any caffeine or sugar since Sunday, but he's still been a relatively nice guy to live with (ha ha - no seriously, I haven't seen any grumpiness at all).  And as an added bonus, he's been doing all the dinner time cooking this week.  Matthew LOVES to cook and he is really good at it.  I can only tell you the jist of what he made, because he rarely follows a recipe and just adds stuff here and there as he goes.  Here are the meals we have had so far this week:

Sunday (lunch at church): Roasted potatoes, brussel sprouts with onions and garlic.  The recipe in the book called this a Roasted Potato Salad, but his was more like roasted vegetables (it was not served cold)

Monday: Chipotle Chili - MMMMMMMMM.  This was D-Lish!  Kidney beans, black beans fresh tomatoes and all kinds of good seasonings.  We served these over Tostito brand corn chips which have no other preservatives in them, several of the websites we looked at said these were allowed, but after rethinking it we are pretty sure they are probably fried and not baked.  So if we have this again during the fast period, Matthew will have to leave these off.  This meal was a hit with the kids too.

Tuesday: Whole wheat spaghetti and fresh marinara sauce.  Again made with fresh tomatoes, garlic, onions, peppers, mushrooms, basil and I'm sure some other stuff that I'm leaving out.  We did put butter on mine and the kids pasta, but Matthew went sans butter!  The kids devoured it.  It was Uh-May-ZING! 

Wednesday: Leftovers.

Thursday: Stuffed bell peppers made with black beans and whole grain brown rice.  Matthew and I thought they were very good, the kids however were not big fans of the peppers.  But they "choked" it down and got two desserts for their efforts! :)

I have to say...I was not looking forward to the brown rice and whole wheat pasta.  But so far the meals have been great.  I can see ourselves making the switch (maybe not 100% of the time) to whole grain/wheat for the future.  If you want more details on any of these recipes, let me know and I will be happy to try and pin Matthew down on the specifics!  Happy Healthy Eating Ya'll!

2 comments:

lydia said...

The meals sound super yummy! I loved the brussel sprouts and potatoes on Sunday. In fact, I went to the store the next day to buy some brussel sprouts to make one night! We use all brown rice and I use to use whole wheat pasta. A certain member of the family doesn't like the texture of the whole wheat pasta, so now I've switched back to the regular. I enjoyed talking with Bro. Matthew about what he's been making this week on church Wednesday. Everything sounds delicious and not too difficult!

Dani said...

I don't mind whole wheat pasta and rice, but Gary thinks it cooks tougher than the white. We've swapped to eating mostly yellow rice though. It's healthier than white rice and has better flavor than the wheat.