Monday, September 8, 2008

Happy Memories


My dear friend from high school came in to town last week with her beautiful little girls and her wonderfully sweet husband. These two little girls are gorgeous. The two year can carry on an adult conversation and use words that I don't even know. And her one year old is practically putting puzzles together by herself. We had such a great time, I just hope we didn't wear her and the family out.

The kids started soccer the week before last but I am a bit delayed in getting the pictures up here. They had their first soccer game on Thursday night and it was definitely a hoot to watch. Especially since they only had 2 practices before the first game! Brady and Katie Sue are on a team together and I think the two of them spent more time talking, hugging and staring off in to space than they did actually kicking the ball. I think Brady's strategy is: "maybe if I go out of bounds, I won't get kicked!" So as you can imagine, there was a lot of "coaxing" from the coaches and parents to get him "in the game"!

Abbey on the other hand did pretty well considering she has never played soccer before and her coach hasn't even taught them the rules of the game!?! She almost scored a goal, I was so excited for her! Now since she is in the 3rd grade this year, she is playing on a team of 2nd and 3rd graders. I was a little concerned at first about her maybe not being able to "keep up," but she really held her own. Thankfully, the team is made up of a lot of newbies to soccer, so although the sizes of the girls vary greatly, the talent is all about the same (or should I say the lack there of :-P). That unfortunately doesn't bode well in the scoring area! But the point is, she had a blast! On the way home from the field she said "so Mom, which team won?" That's the nice thing about this league, there is little focus on winning and losing and just getting the kids out there to have a good time!

Oh yeah, and I almost forgot. The Saturday before Labor Day, the kids got invited to a roller skating party! This was a first for them. They both have roller skates, but they are the kind you wear with shoes that don't slide very well...plus we have a paver drive way that is really difficult to skate on since it is so bumpy. Well, Brady and Abbey got out there wobbly feet and all and had a blast. They did roller skating limbo, roller dancing and a lot of falling, but as Brady says: "It's okay if you fall down, everybody falls down." Even Matthew and I got out there on the skates...I think the grownups were having just as much fun as the kids. I know it brought back a lot of childhood memories of me...wearing a leotard that was a bit too small, and old stockings of Mom's that had runs in them, and perfecting our figure 8's!

Thanks again Nicole and Family for taking the time to come visit us! We had a great time and miss you guys already!

2 comments:

Kelly Spezzano said...

Great pics! I have to remember to send you our soccer pics too! It was good to see Nikki and the girls, they really are absolutely adorable!

Dani said...

Looks like they've been having too much fun!